My very good friend Michael Green is the producer of Streit’s: Matzo and the American Dream. Together with Michael Levine, well-known NY-based documentary filmmaker and friend, they are bringing this truly fascinating ‘American dream’ story to life.
Simultaneously, the Streit’s Matzo Factory announced it is closing it’s doors after 90 years AND the Atlanta Jewish Film Festival invited this documentary to premier at their February event!
I chose to be a part of the production – perhaps you will, too!!
Let me explain how I am involved by sharing this letter from Michael Green:
By now, you may have heard the news – The Streit’s Matzo Factory has been sold to a real estate developer and, after 90 years, will cease operations on the Lower East Side after this Passover. The workers were notified by the owners last Monday afternoon. We are still coming to terms with the loss of this place that has been our second home for the past two years, and beloved by generations for whom Streit’s and the Lower East Side are inseparable.
My filmmaker, Michael Levine wrote a beautiful piece in Bowery Boogie which was released last Tuesday morning:
From that piece, many other media outlets picked up the story including a feature in print and online in the New York Times:
Our film about the factory, “Streit’s: Matzo and the American Dream”, will premiere at the Atlanta Jewish Film Festival in February and we are nearing an agreement for its release in theaters this spring.
To us, the recent developments at the factory make it all the more important that the Streit’s story be shared with the world, to preserve and celebrate the legacy of this New York institution.
However, for this to happen, we must now raise additional funds to cover the licensing of archival footage and music, a professional audio mix, and legal fees, amounting to approximately $25,000, in order for the film to be released to the public.
How you can help:
• Make a contribution through the film’s website, www.matzofilm.com. Every bit helps, and we are offering donors the same fun rewards we offered our Kickstarter supporters
• If you have already contributed and would like to increase your pledge, you can do so on www.matzofilm.com, and we will increase your reward level accordingly, thank you!
• Whether or not you can contribute, share our website, www.matzofilm.com with friends and family who might be interested. Our original funding campaign succeeded because of word of mouth – we need your help spreading the word!
– Share our website/trailer at www.matzofilm.com
– Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/matzofilm
– Follow us on twitter @matzofilm
We believe so strongly in this story, and with your help, we will be able to share it with the world. Your support truly means the world to us, thank you!